hedge pruning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grapevine, May 15, 2001.

1. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

This is one of my pet peeves that I've been trying to figure out for years. There's nothing that irritates me more than laying 5,10,15 yards of mulch in a customers beds and then a month or so later pruning the bushes and have to rake them all out again. Does anyone use tarps ? I'm afraid when it's in the nineties plants will burn.
    any good ideas ?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

id tellum its a mistake to do anything but necessary
    trim in hot weather.and it is. later on

3. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

If you wait to the 4th of July to trim the bushes
    then you would only have to trim them once, after the
    4th the grouth harden and should not grow any more.then
    mulch after that if you can or if the balls in your court.

4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

We usually will prune the shrubs just prior to mulching if possible. Yes we use tarps where it's feasible to help shorten clean-up time otherwise we rake or blow the clean-up. I've never experienced "burning" of shrubs when we've pruned in hot weather.

5. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

My question wasn't on the timing of pruning, it was on easier ways to clean-up the clippings.

6. Lawngeek

Lawngeek Guest

tarps can get kinda messy too just hedge then blow off the hedges and lightly blowthe bulk of clippings out of th mulch then use a spring rake to rake the bed over to blend small clippings dont fret too much about getting the mulch back to what it looked like when first installed..other stuff falls in the mulch over time leaves seed heads etc when installing mulch whack it w a spring rake to pack it down that way when you later trim-hedge the mulch will stay in the beds actually best way to get rid of them clippings is to blow them onto grass and run over them a few times