hedge row by fence looking for ideas.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sicnj, Mar 19, 2007.

1. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to put a hedge row against a fence 75' long want to block out neighbors yard was thinking leyland cypress. I want to stop growth around 20' is this possible? should i be looking at another tree. Trees full be getting full sun except where the fence is.
  2. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Spartan junipers get a bit under 20, but quite hardy.
  3. sicnj

i think i want something that is a little wider at the top. thanks for the idea.
  4. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Ah ok ...thought those Leland get real high? I know you can keep cutting them back, maybe some sort of Arborvitae
  5. sicnj

yeah your prob right i should stay away form anything that has the potential to 60' +
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

why 20'? photinia? I prefer the Jackon and perkins simplicity hedge roses. 2 years and they are 6-10 feet. grow dence and have a ton of roses. get tired of the height get out the hedge trimmers and cut them down 1/3 the height. that and keeps out the neighbors and dogs.
  7. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have Leyland Cypress and there Great, just be sure to treat them for Bag Worms in the spring. If you don't THEY WILL DIE
  8. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Check for availability on Green Giant arborvitae. More controlled growth than Leyland Cypress and so far, more pest and disease resistant. Anytime you plant 1 type of plant you are risking creating banquet conditions for pests or disease to destroy your entire screen, besides it will look very boring. Throw in a couple of different plants that will still create your desired effect, and you will provide a much healthier condition as well as add much more interest.

9. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Variety is the spice of life. Toss in something different. Maybe to accent a certain area or post where the fence meets.
  10. ccash

ccash Banned

every body down here is getting away from the lelands do to a new disease that has been killing them off and has no know treatment at this point.