1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hedge shears

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Jul 15, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

How many of you out there use manual shears vs. gas powered to do your shrub trimming? What would be a good set to purchase? Every set I've ever had has sprung open on me and won't cut worth a darn. I have 2 gas powered hedge trimmers but really want to try shearing some manually, especially the real small ones that give me a fit.
  2. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Corona brand. The professional series with the wood handles. They are a little pricey, but worth the money.

Also for small shrubs, I use a pair of Corona Pro grass shears. They work great for shaping them little round balls that folks like.

You can order a catalog from them at:

And Alamia.com has some of their products at a cheaper price.

3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Howdy Homer!

I was using a pair of cheap Ames hand shears but last week one of the wooden handles started coming off....ugh..heheh. I only did a few small trimming jobs up to this point BUT......

...yesterday I purchased a RedMax CTH2200. Went to my parents house to test them out and now I'm smiling! :D

I had seen these same hedge trimmers around here for $359 but one local distributor bought 6 and got a deal so I was able to snag mine for $316. I got the last one he had...whew!

At 22" and 9.5 lbs they cut a mean "beachball"! :D

I don't think I'll be using the Ames anymore. ;)

Bring on the hedges!!!
  4. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

Since I got a gas powered shear (sthil with 32" blade) I won't even pick up manual shears anymore. In fact I don't even have any manuals left. It just dosn't make money doing it by hand and I don't think the manual ones do as good a job