hedge trimmer advice echo vs redmax

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, May 20, 2003.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the situation....I will be doing this business for sure through christmas and then i'm off to college, thinking about taking my equipment with me and trying to get a few jobs in the small college town, but i'm needing some new hedge trimmers and i'm looking at the redmax and the echo....the echo is obviously cheaper but i need some opinions, i think the redmax is the better bet but basically i want to hear from some who have used the echo's before

model numbers are the 1500 and 1600 echo vs the 2300 and 2301 redmax...thanks guys

Jeff

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I just bought a Echo HCR1500 for $269.95
    Its lighter than my Husqvarna and so far seems to do fine. I basically run mostly Stihl hand held stuff but for the 100 bucks in savings on the Echo....thought I'd try it.
    Maybe add a Echo 750 blower soon.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

No, you don't get it......... this is what you want. Does everything the 1600 does, and basically the same weight. However, unlike any of the "chainsaw garbage", you don't have to bend over for ground stuff. It will reach 10 feet for high stuff. The exhaust isn't in your face, it's behind you. It's perfectly balanced. It's has less vibration, and it's better for your back. OH, Redmax has one, too.

shc-210.gif

4. Doc Pete

In action.........

hedge2.jpg

5. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

The one switchless is using is a great asset. If you're not looking for that type, then I'd strongly recommend Red Max. I have several Echo's and one RedMax, and the latter is the preferred. Good luck.

6. Doc Pete

I must admit my Redmax machinery seems to have smoother motors..........
    Pete

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

For superior trimming - redmax all the way. Better built too - by far!

8. Hud

Hud LawnSite Member

I can't comment on the Redmax, but I've read here lots of people giving Redmax high marks for their equipment. I like Echo 'cause I find it easy to work on.

I have an HC1600: 24" blade, 12.9 lbs. It's fine for large stuff, but too much for small work. And it gets feeling heavy in a very short time. Why can't somebody make a good quality, lightweight gas hedge trimmer?

Anyway, I'm looking at an HCR150 as o-so-n-so describes with 20" blades, rotating handle, and about 2.5 fewer pounds. And oddly enough, I'm also looking at the SHC-210 (also 12.9 lbs), I believe it's what Switchless shows, as maybe an even better way to do hedge trimming while saving mayself from a lot of back pain. The standard hedge trimmer, like the HC1600, can wear me out in short order: holding it out in front of you, bending over, etc. I'm going to try out an SHC-210 tomorrow.

9. Doc Pete

I had both the 1500 and 1600 for about 4 years. I found the SHC trimmers so much better that I enjoy trimming......
    Pete

10. Hud

Hud LawnSite Member

The way I use my HC1600 is a clip then step back routine: do a little trimming then step back to see what it looks like. The SHC could eliminate a lot of steps. Then there's the weight: yes, the HC1600 and the SHC-210 weigh the same, but the weight of the SHC, from what I've been thinking then see in your photo, is distributed on the body in a less strenuous way then the HC1600.

Thanks for the endorsement. The SHC looks like the way I'll be going. BTW, what model is the one in the picture? Thanks!