Hedge Trimmer advice - Stihl HL 45 ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrealty, Apr 27, 2010.

1. mrealty

mrealty LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Just got back from the dealer and they don't normally carry the Stihl HL 90K in the showroom. "But we can order it for you for $419" Well, the reason why I come to the dealer is so I can *try it out* and compare them in my hands. :wall

So, is there an articulate hedge trimmer with cutting action blade against anvil, at least 20 inch blade, with short staff? Sounds like that's the best of all worlds so far? Or does that combination not exist?

Thanks again for all input.

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Mark, You don't want blade against anvil cutting action, you want blade against blade.

Maybe this link will help you in your search http://www.stihldealer.net/locator/Results.aspx?lspr=1&zip=&city=Agusta&state=GA&dlrtype=1

Other than that link, this is the only thing I can find that fits what you desire http://www.stihlusa.com/hedgetrimmers/HL100K-135.html

3. Lazer_Z

from NJ

Topsy, Were not talking a standard hedge trimmer here. He's wanting an EXTENDED REACH hedge trimmer, Stihl's biggest extended reach hedge trimmer(HL 100) has a DSRP of $519.95 before sales tax. Your HS45 w/24" blade comes in at $309.95 before tax, an HS 81T is $499.99(24") & $519.99(30") all before tax.

4. mrealty

mrealty LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

My bad. Blade against blade I meant. I'll check those out real quick.

Dealer has one in the show room (HL 100K 135 degree) for $469.95 (without sales tax). Will go in and check it out. Sounds like it's the one for me on paper. That price is killing me, though.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  5. Lazer_Z

from NJ

That's better than the suggested price of $499.95. This is the HL 100K at my dealer here in Jersey http://www.stihldealer.net/productd...toplvl-13-catid-13-subcat-13-catprods-64.aspx .

6. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

When you get into articulate, it is always more money. But I think it is worth the extra money.

You guys should write to Stihl. Just too bad they don't have the short reach. Shouldn't be difficult for them to produce one.

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

they are a bit small, try the HS 80 or 81 whichever is the newer model. very agile, very quiet and very smooth and little vibration. you did not know how great a pair of shrub trimmers could be until you try one of these i can assure you!

8. osr001

osr001 LawnSite Member

I have the HL 45. I bought it because of its weight. Mine is 2 yrs. old and has a rev limiter on it. I want to bend it in half most days. It`s built right into the coil and I even tried getting an older coil to replace it. Dealer said it won`t work. Make sure the one you get does`nt have it!!

9. mrealty

mrealty LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Re: HL 100K 135 degree

Yeah, repeated the model number and degrees over the phone to the girl at the dealer to make sure she was quoting me the right price. Went in today to check it out and they said it was $519 (whole lot more than what she told me previously). I saw the HL 100K last time I was in. It's very nice...kinda heavy though...would need a carry strap for that one. That price is still killing me.

Is there anything else out there that has all of what the HL 100K 130 degree has in another brand that doesn't cost as much?

10. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Check out Kawasaki on ebay. Kawi is a good brand also.

Don't be brand specific, call around and ask for any promotion. My experience is there is always a promotion on some brands. As long as you stay with the commercial brands, you can't go too wrong. As for reliability of any one piece of equipment, it is really a crap shoot, any brand can have a lemon.

I paid $569 for my Shindaiwa M242 with the articulate hedge trimmer under the promotion of getting a string trimmer attachment free. That was exactly what I needed at the time. Call around and check out ebay and buy new there.

I think it is important to have articulate capability. I use mine instead of the regular hedge trimmer all together.