1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hedge Trimmer Attachment for the Echo/Mantis Tiller

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jan 27, 2002.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone ever converted an Echo/Mantis tiller into a hedge trimmer with one of their attachments? I am looking to get a hedge trimmer and would like to keep costs to a minumum since it is not something I use very often. I already own the Echo version of the Mantis tiller so I thought this might be the cheapest route to go. Is it time consuming to convert?
  2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

One of my customers used to have the Mantis with the hedge trimmer attachment. It converts over in no time. Under 5 minutes. Overall I liked the unit.
  3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

This does not really help your question but made one for me. does echo own mantis buy them out or what?
  4. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

I like the Mantis better than the Echo as far as the gearboxes etc. The engines are indentical, but the Mantis just has a better gear box and warranty. As far as the last post......No mantis just features their engines on their products. Hell John Deere stuff had echo engines on it until a few years back. I think they are the best enigine out there and I love it that all these companies use that motor. It is also the same engine that is on the BCS mini tiller.
  5. Old Guy

Old Guy LawnSite Member

I have the Mantis unit. Use it for a backup. I think it's much too heavy to use on a regular basis. Works fine, though, and easy to convert.