Hedge trimmer blade sharpener

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by digger1, Jan 13, 2003.

1. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

For gas powered hedge trimmers, looking for input on your experience on sharpening the blades. I have seen the small handheld portable 12 volt sharpeners advertised. Do you sharpen them yourself or take them somewhere?
    Thanks for your input.

2. green boy

green boy LawnSite Member
    from texas

do myself and use a dremel tool to do it.

3. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a dremel as suggested above. but I have used a good sharp file too it does a n excellant job and if you don't have a dremel.

Jim

4. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

what type of attachment is on the dremel tool (stone grinder, metal, ceramic, etc.)?

5. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

Do myself.....angle grinder(very carefully)......have used good flat file, does do a nice job but takes too long...

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Dremel tool with the cone shaped sharpening tool or a rat tail file for a very quick touch up.

Gravely_Man

7. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

Thanx for the tips and info. Will give it a try while the snow is flying.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have always used a rounded file, but it takes a long time to do. Usually about 30 to 45 minutes.

9. FiNaL

FiNaL LawnSite Member

can you use a chain saw sharpener to sharpen hedge trimmers? i was told that they don't sale hedge trimmer sharpens any more and you either had to buy a new blade or get it done by some one.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I use a die grinder (air) with a 3" cutting disk on it. This works excellent. Very fast and with precision.;)