Hedge trimmer caught on fire!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by goodbeus, May 16, 2004.

1. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, was using a Stihl HS80 hedge trimmer on a new job trimming up some hedges...it's less than 2 years old, but it looks like it's only 1 month old...anyway, it started to spit & sputter...I look at the exhaust while at full rpm and there is sparks coming out of the exhaust...a few seconds later, poof...it ignites into flames...ran it over to the water cooler and put out the flames...I'll probably drop it off at the shop Monday...anyone ever had this happen before and maybe give me some info on what happened???

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Sparks coming out of the muffler is common that is why they put these screen in them for. You said it started to spit & sputter. I would say a fuel line came lose or broke going to the carb. The gas ran down and was ignited by the exhaust. You are lucky with the water. Water does not work well on gasoline fires. It spreads the fuel and fire. Dirt would have been a safer bet.

3. goodbeus

I don't think it was a gas fire...when it first started to spit, I checked it over...one of the things I checked was the gas lines and there was no indications of a leak...

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Rat's nest? Now don't laugh I have seen it happen on lawn mowers, push and riders. A rat or mouse will build a nest inside the blower housing of the engine. When the engine gets hot all that dried grass and rags or what ever go up in flames. About 5 years ago I took the blower housing off a push mower and the builder was still home. The mouse jumped out and scared the crap out of me. The funny part was it stop about 10 foot from the work bench turned around and stood on its hind legs. The thing started squeaking like crazy. I was getting chewed out by a mouse!

5. goodbeus

lol...that's a good one...but no, wasn't a nest...I would have definitely noticed that....