1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hedge Trimmer help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by oaktree59, Aug 1, 2007.

1. oaktree59

oaktree59 LawnSite Member

I am having trouble cutting Boxwood hedges with my Shindiawa Homepro. Is there another brand better for Boxwoods. I do not care about the price. I want something commericial and good a good cutter. Thanks
  2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you don't care about price, why didn't you buy a commercial Shinindaiwa? Mine's a 30" DH231, which I suspect is one of the lower-end commercial Shindaiwas, and it cuts boxwood just fine. I presume the higher they go in price, the better they will cut, but I can't really imagine anything cutting much better than what I have.
  3. oaktree59

oaktree59 LawnSite Member

When I bought it last year I was not doing a lot of trimming and my salesman said that the homepro would work for me. Now I am doing more and I really think that I need pole hedger
  4. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Ah, I see now! You were scuttled by a know-very-little salesman. Well it happens to most of us at one time or another. But at least you are on the right track now that your asking people who actually have used the equipment under consideration. But I'm not one with any experience with pole hedge trimmers, so maybe someone else who has will come forward. However, I fully expect that reports on the Shindaiwa commerical ones will be favorable, because the hand-held one I have certainly doesn't have any problems trimming boxwood.
  5. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

redmax works for me
  6. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

Stihl and Stihl and oh wait, STIHL.
  7. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree with all three of acutabove's suggestions - mine is a beast and the wide teeth allow for cutting the larger branches - it would be an excellent choice.