hedge trimmer lube

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Neil M, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Neil M

Neil M LawnSite Member

I just bought a kawasaki 600d hedge trimmer and it says to use machine oil on the blades. What grade is machine oil, can't find it. someone told me that hydro oil is the samething.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Try w d 40

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Is it ok to use a vegetable based spray or oil on hedge trimmer blades? I thought I had heard something about petro based oils browning the tips of the trimmed hedges?

4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

my dealer told me spray-on white lithium grease.... seems to work ok.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I use a penetrating oil that my dealer sells me. Works great on my hs-80. I would not use white lithium grease as it gums up and bogs/slows down your blades. The penetrating oil also doubles as a cleaner, pulls sap and such right off.

6. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

i just use any brand of mpl before and after i use them.

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Never used any lube on hedge trimmer blades. In over 20 years. Ever. There is enough moisture in the plants I'm trimming to lube the blades. And I'd never put a petroleum based lubricant on any device that has direct contact with a plant.

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a dry film silicone spray lube.Arborvita and other evergreen type shrubs tend to make the blades sticky. Works great and keeps the sap from building up on the blades. I spray the blades every other tank fill. Machine runns smoother with no chattering from the blades when you keep them lubed.

9. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Fluid Film on the hedge trimmer blades. It will last longer than any other lubricant, it won't burn greenery, and because it remains slick and doesn't get gummy of sticky, it will help keep sap from sticking.

Check out our forum on LawnSite for more information as well.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I agree ....use Fluid Film on your blades I highly recommend it.