1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hedge Trimmer Lube

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by morgaj1, Apr 2, 2010.

1. morgaj1

morgaj1 LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys use to lubricate the blades on a hedge trimmer? I have been using WD40 but have heard that this is wrong.

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Either fluid film or horticultural oil. WD-40 provides you with the possibility of burning the tips of the shrubs you're trimming. Hort oil and Fluid Film will not burn.

3. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Fluid Film

4. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

yep, fluid film

5. mnms0562000

mnms0562000 LawnSite Member

The Stihl de-sapper/cleaner/wonderful smelling stuff.

6. dtford

dtford LawnSite Member
    from 02338

never heard of fluid film, where do you buy it ?

7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

It's available online through some mower parts stores, also available locally through John Deere dealers.

It's a lanolin based rust preventer/inhibitor that never dries and soaks into metal to stop rust. It's also good for anything WD-40 is good for like general lubrication procedures. It's not petroleum-based, so it won't burn plants if used on hedge trimmers.

8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Most John Deere dealers have FF.

9. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Fluid Film all the way. Since I start using it, I never have to clean the blades once. It even clean the old gunk from before. Both my hedge trimmer's blade look shinny.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Bar and chain oil -- same oil I use in my chain saw. I've never seen any after effects on plants. I oil about every 20 minutes of operation, twice oiling between fueling (runs about 45 minutes on a tank of fuel). I always oil after finishing for the day and put the machine away.