hedge trimmer lubrication

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawngator, Feb 16, 2000.

1. lawngator

lawngator LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hey folks,<br>I maintain the hedges of a large entrance way to a subdivision. It's a really big job. What is the best lube I can use on my trimmer blades that will not damage the plants. I do know you have to stay away from petroleum based products. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

2. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Lawngator<p>Last year we used chain saw chain oil.I'm pretty shure it did not harm the hedges I worked on.I dont see why this type of oil would harm the hedge becouse that oil is used for trimming trees.With my hedges I have never harmed any of them,and I'm pretty shure that type of oil will not harm your hedges.I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure it won't hurt anything.<p>Hope this helps!<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

The saw oil could ruin the trimmer blades since its sticky and the dirt will gum up the blades.<p>I give mine a shot of wd-40 if its dry out, otherwise I like to trim hedges when theyre wet, lubes the blades just fine.<p>My echo hc-2000 is 8 years old and the same blade, I just sharpen it once a year.<p>Bill

4. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

Call a food service equipment dealer and ask for some type of lubri-plate. It is USDA approved for use in food processing plants, so it should be safe for hedges.

5. lawngator

lawngator LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Thanks guys,<br>If WD-40 is ok for the plants, that should work for me. Thanks for responses. Lawngator

6. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have used WD-40 with no sign of damage to evergreens and hedges for many years,I keep a can in the truck all the time...spary & go !!!

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

How about using PAM cooking spray? That should work without worrying about any damage to the plants. My set has a grease fitting for the tranny, but doesn't really lube the blades. I haven't tried PAM but you made me think, I have also been keeping mine sprayed with WD-40.<p>Homer

8. Cletus

Cletus LawnSite Member

ah use used car oil.It makes th' blade slide real fine.It does not jam up on trimenjus branches.<p>----------<br>Cletus<br>mow-4-money

9. imowit

imowit Guest

I think one of those tree branches may have fallen and hit Cletus on the head.&quot;:)&quot;<p>----------<br>Mike's Lawn Service<br>

10. nelski

nelski LawnSite Member

I use Olive Oil on my trimmer that way I can use it to cut my lettuce up for supper.<p> {Extra Virgin}