hedge trimmer prices?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DylanK, Jun 14, 2006.

1. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

im looking for a decent hedge trimmer without spending a **** load of money...im new in the business and dont have too many customers so i cant be working with the electric hedge trimmers anymore...give me some opinions on good quality trimmers aloing with a price.. thanks!!!

2. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Try going to pawn shops or your local equipment shop and see what they have for used trimmers. I got a nice Echo trimmer from the shop here for $80. They were 3 years old, little use on them and they work great after a plug change and a little adjustment. Also check your local trader paper.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It depends how much you plan on using them... For me, hedge trimming is a sideline and thou it brings in some money, I might use it a half-dozen or a dozen times a year. For this reason, the bigger commercial models are too heavy and too expensive for me. I got the Stihl HS-45 which is a homeowner's model but it is just below the commercial line and I've had it for 4 years and it still runs good and strong (I never sharpen them, it's self-sharpening or something).

4. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

how much did you pay for the Stihl trimmers?

5. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

we have two units, purchased as demo units for $250 if i recall correctly. dealer contacted me when they were available, very few hours, full warranty. I believe the unit listed for around $350 when I purchased. I may be mistaken on the list price, but regardless, i know i saved some $$$'s or i would not have went this route. our's have 24" bars, very well balanced, dependable. they serve my purpose.

I also have trimmmers and backpacks that i purchased this way (as demos). worked nicely for me. good luck.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

echo hc-150 brand new for 269.95+tax

21.2cc engine, 20" blades

7. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

my friend who is a landscaper bought them and he said they sucked, they didnt even have enough power to cut thru some things, so he brought them back... i have a chance to get a pair of Kawasaki hedge trimmers with a 24" blade, i think im going to get those

8. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

oh yeah, the kawasakis arefor $250 plus tax

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I paid $240 for the HS-45 brand-new, just used it 2 days ago and it works great!
    That was in 2003, prices may vary some from area to area as well.
    As you know, all Stihl's have cruise-control, it is very nice not to have to hold the throttle. The tank is a bit small but once you get good with it, I can do serious hedges on 1/2 tank nowadays but it lasts around 20 minutes on a tank so you do want to bring along some spare mix fuel, a quart lasts a few hours.
    As for power, never had a real issue, the blades seem to stay very sharp but I do keep them sprayed with Wd-40 between yards.

10. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

...is no good. list here in '02/03 was $259. I paid $180 and $195 for the other. Wouldn't hesitate to buy the exact same today if I needed. Sorry for any confusion on the pricing.