1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hedge trimmer question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by okeefl, Feb 22, 2007.

1. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a new hedge trimmer (redmax and stihl) are the 2 I am looking at.

My question is this;

What are the advantages/ disadvantages between the single side versus the double sided models. I have double sided now, but would like some insight into the uses or purpose of having a single sided model.
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I think that single sided is aimed more towards sculpting hedges and doing small touch ups rather than general maintenance of hedges. Stihl has some nice new models out the HS 81T and H i believe. I thought they were a little pricey when i saw the tag on them at my dealer but they are sharp lookin. I myself have the HS80's and they do very well.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

My experience is with the Stihl HS80, 24" double-sided bar. It is a very nice machine, and serviced me well over several years. It may be a bit heavier than others. Extended periods of use can be challenging, especially early in the season. I am small, not strong, so my observations on the weight may be misleading.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

From using the single sided machines for a little while, I think the blades get dull faster then the double sided units do. They are definitly more effective for shaping then just overall trimming.
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I use the long reach stihl trimmers for everything. I have 3 of them and love them. They are more durable than the redmax trimmers. I have two short reach redmax trimmers also. The blades have tendency to get stuck when cutting thicker shrubs... and they can also break. They are little nicer for fine cutting, but if the stihl trimmers are sharp, there is really not a difference.