hedge trimmer question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Apr 28, 2002.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

ive been thinking of going electric .i own to gas hedge trimmers echo and redmax .both are very good but after a while fatigue kicks in if your doing a couple of jobs.how is the little wonder electric hedge cutters i see alot of guys useing this.also do i need a generator or do you guys just use the homeowers out door outlets.is this a good or bad idea .thanx for any info ronnie
  2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Chainsaw style trimmers, in plain language, suck. If you aren't using a pole trimmer, that's your problem. Echo makes the SHC2400 for about $350, which isn't much more than the "chainsaw" stlye trimmer. It's shorter than the "articulated" ones, which are really too long for most "normal work". The 2400 is a perfect size for all kinds of shrubs. It lets you stand straight up and hold the maching straight down and do little shrubs looking down on them.
    For what it's worth, you can buy the "shaft and coupler" from the "add an attachment" machine from Echo and add another 2 feet to the length of the machine, any time you want. I have two machines, one is the 2400, the other is the "add an attachment", plus I bought the extra shaft for the "add an attachment", which give me over 8 feet for length.
    For Pete's Sake
  3. theplantdoctor

theplantdoctor LawnSite Member

We use electric Black and Decker "Hedge Hogs". They slice through anything up to 3/4"!

Of course we use the clients electricity! Got to watch that cord though! :D

4. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with $60 Black and Decker electric. Wore it out the first year (switch broke). Then got Little Wonder electric ($250 or so). Very high-quality, but not sure that the cut is any better. Should be no need for a generator - just use the outdoor outlets. (Yes I have cut the cord - more careful now) Also have Echo gas-powered. Seems to have an even worse cut. Probably the electric is less fatiguing to use. But I find myself using hand shears more and more even on larger hedges. I use Sanvik shears ordered from AM Leo. http://www.amleo.com
  5. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

the black and decker model perform as well as the little wonder .which model is it the one from sears .ill probally get the little wonder but ill check both out....
  6. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone out there using an electric with rechargable batteries,was just looking at them in the shop,would save trailing electric cords,how long do they go between recharges?can you recharge them in your truck?are they any good?.
  7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Just a quick tip about using cords. I always put a 4 to 6 foot cord next to the clipper so if it gets cut it's no big deal. It's a bummer if you slice that 100 foot 12 gauge cord.
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I keep making the mistake of thinking trimming is the same all over the states. Now I can see that it's just not the case. I've been assuming you guy's are pruning things like 200 ft. of 4 foot high hedges, or 1/2 dozen 10 foot high hemlocks, or 30, two foot high yews.
    If you use an electric trimmer, you'd go nuts with the cord, waste a ton of time with the poor power of electric, and have to get on a ladder to prune those 10 foot high hemlocks.
    However, I guess if you have 5 "nonames" doing the work, caring less about efficiency, then brute manpower and sissors would work just as well...........