hedge trimmer reccomendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenisgold, May 8, 2001.

1. greenisgold

greenisgold LawnSite Member

needing a new set of gas hedge trimmers for the season. i've done the search but data seems old. had a robin 24 in double blade that gave up the ghost and only echo, stihl, red max, and tanaka are readily available in my area. any of you pros have good/bad luck with any of the above? thanks in advance for the help.
  2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I use an Echo hc-1500 trimmer. So far it seems to be holding up fine. All I have ever owned is Echo so I couldn't tell you about the other brands. I'm sure they are ok also. I think my trimmer cost between $250-300. Good luck.
  3. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the hedge trimmer attachment for my Stihl FS85 late last year, and rarely use my normal trimmer anymore. Being able to use the pole effect with swivel head is just so much easier and more productive than using the ol' Stihl hedger, particularly in places where I would normally have to use a ladder before...

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Tanaka double sided and like it a lot. All my handheld equipment is tanaka.
  5. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

I run a Redmax 2300 series, cost almost 400 bucks. Not worth it. If I had it to do over again, I would go to Alamia.com and purchase a pair of kawasakis for 316 free shipping, my buddy just got one and says it rocks
  6. MO & GO

MO & GO LawnSite Member

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

our small hedger is the Echo HC 1600 which is a nice reliable hedger for general & close work ....n' for the long reach stuff we use a Stihl HL 75 ...which is another nice piece of equip ....both no issues in last 3-4 years ....with minor throttle cable stuff only
  8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Im gonna second glen on this one.

I would recommend the TANAKA if its available to you.

We have the robins and I like the Tanaka or Shindaiwa as next choices.

9. what i use is a hrc? 1500 from echo. real small double sided thing for up close work. cost is maybe 250? for the big stuff i am gonna get a hedge clipper attachment for my ht75 from stihl. that will do pretty much whatever i need, and will go up to about 15 feet without a ladder. the attachment is about 200 dollars and the ht75 w/ pole saw is about 600. i have also used the stihl fixed angle pole hedge clipper. real nice, and powerful. i used the articulated echo hedge clipper and it is nice, but not that strong. you can get used to the fixed angle pretty quickly.
  10. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

I use a Stihl FS 85RT. I really enjoy it because of all the different attachments you can put on it. I have the hedge trimmer, edger and weed eater attachments. It has held up great with all of the hedges I have been cutting.