Hedge trimmer recomendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckydooley, Mar 23, 2008.

1. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to pick up a new hedge trimmer. I am running Stihl handhelds, however I am open for suggestions/recommendations. I have looked at the Stihl HS45 and HS81. My dealer says to stick with stihl and didnt even show me any of the other lines he carries. About $160 difference between the two models. Any suggestions?

2. Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care

Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

I run the Kawasaki KCL525A. It's the long one with the adjustable head. Love it! My dealer gave me a break on the "retail" price. I think I got it out the door for a little over 500 bucks, but it's been worth it.

3. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Echo SHC 210 & shc 212 models. Have run these hard for years with no problems at all!

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i started with a handheld one, then i got a shindaiwa ahs231 the short extended one (about 3' and prefer it over a conventinal hedger. it has like 16 adjustments.i believe it was about $430, i also have an ah231 for the tall shrubs or long reaches

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My old RedMax finally gave it up two weeks ago. She fought the good fight but was just getting too old.

My dealer recommended an Echo HC160. I absolutely hate this hedge trimmer. I'm taking it back tomorrow.

1. It trims very "raggedly".
    2. It's too heavy (I'm probably just too used to my old RedMax).
    3. It runs poorly but probably just needs an adjustment.
    4. For right handed operators, it blows hot exhaust on your left arm. If you're trimming up high, the exhaust blows into your face. Very stupid design.

6. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

all i ever ran to begin with were stihls. they are great machines. built tough, and run strong. i would say it really depends on what size trimmer you're looking for. if you need a pole trimmer, i would still say go with stihl. but if you're looking at trimming smaller shrubs, the echo sch 212 is hard to beat. it is about half the weight of the small stihls. it is small enough to reach all the angles of smaller shrubs, but unlike the small stihls, is still designed w/ a shaft so the weight is much more evenly distributed to both arms. running the small stihls, you'll kill the supporting arm--switching back and forth to rest forearms that before too long will start to feel like pop-eye's after his spinach.
    echos aren't perfect--they still seem notorious for shocking you if you let your arm get too close to the wiring--but all things considered, i would choose echo over stihl for almost every trimming application.

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Love my 2401 Redmax. The swivel handle on it is pretty neat.

8. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

redmax all the way

9. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

If you can afford it I would recommend getting a shaft trimmer with adjustable head. They are alot easier to get behind shrubs and doing short shrubs. I have stihl and redmax, both are good but I prefer the stihl because the blades will fold all the way back for storage.

10. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have the Echo HC151, I don't particularly like it. It cut rough, tried fixing it, no go. I won't buy it again.

I am consider either Redmax, Kawasaki or Husky short reach hedge trimmer. Kawasaki has the biggest engine. Redmax has the good reliable record.