Hedge Trimmer Recommendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by garbage, Sep 2, 2005.

1. garbage

garbage LawnSite Member

Hi,

I'm on the market for a hedge trimmer for residential use. I have muraya (8 feet tall) and myrtus luma (3 feet tall) hedges.

Which brand and model would you recommend? Over here in Australia, we have Honda, Stihl, Echo, Husq and I've just come across a second hand Tamaka in good condition.

Han.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Handheld or with extended shaft? I personally like the Stihl HL 100 extended lengths and it would make trimming the taller hedges much easier than bending over onto a potentially hornet infested bush to cut it. All of the brands you mentioned make quality products, go with the one that best fits your needs more so than your budget.

3. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I use an Echo HC150. I've been pleased with it. Runs about $270 USD ($353 AUD).

4. garbage

garbage LawnSite Member

I'm thinking handheld at this stage as most of the hedges are still small. I guess my main requirement is that it's easy to start. I have a Stihl line trimmer that I have a bit of trouble starting but maybe that's just me.

Are the Honda's any good? These are about 30% more expensive than the others.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We've settled on stihl for everything. So I guess you know my answer..............

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Have not used the Hondas at all. I know from experience that Stihls new ez 2 start models are a piece of cake to run.

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo HC150i here, been real satisfied with it, in fact all Echo handheld and BP blower. Echo has been a good brand for me.

8. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would recommend the Stihl HS80 with the 30in bar.