1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hedge Trimmer - Redmax or Stihl?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Mar 6, 2007.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

What's a good hedge trimmer out there right now that I can buy? I will be buying either Stihl or Redmax. What should I buy? Brand/Model? What should I look for? Thanks!
  2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I would look for something that is comfortable and something that will do the job that you nned done.

You are the only one that knows what you need to handle the jobs you do. Go look at both and narrow it down and then ask on the different models you have questions on.
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

the only two brands I have used and would ever reccomend would be Echo and Tanaka I prefer my Tanaka over my Echo but both have been great trimmers. For average trimming a 20" bar should be good enough for most things.
  4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I use the RedMax CHZ2400 hedge trimmer. I has the 180 rotating handle which makes it more comfortable and safer plus the Strato-charged engine.
    They run around $400.
  5. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

i got the exact same model as redmax man. They are the best all around for trimming in IMO. they do cost like $369 but you get what you pay for and everyone knows that redmax products are backed with a 2 year warrenty. What could be better.
  6. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Tanaka has been great to me
  7. cemeteryman

cemeteryman LawnSite Member

I use the Stihl hs80 and I wouldn't trade it for any other brand. It is light enough that I can run it for long periods of time, but it has enough power to cut anything I run into.
  8. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Stihl HS-45. Havent really had a chance to use it yet because of all this snow, but when I did use it it felt very well balanced and it had a great cut.
  9. I use the Stihl HS80. It has the 180 rotating handle and the Strato-charged engine. Very easy on fuel consumption and is light. Very powerful. Gets the job done!
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

redmax is the leader when it comes to hedge trimmers. sthil is too heavy. echo is cheaply made .