Hedge Trimmer sharpening tool

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by piston slapper, Feb 13, 2012.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Finally got around to taking a few pics on sharpening hedge trimmers.
    You can buy the belt sander at Northern Industrial tools .Cost about $65.
    Be sure to buy extra belts as it only comes with 2.
    It may take you a few belts to get comfortable with it..

Offset the blades and sand the blade edge....once its shiny ,its sharp.
    When you get all the edges you can get to, rotate the blades and get the rest of them.
    Dont forget to snug the adjustment bolts.....not so tight that the blades dont rotate.

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice tool I use a disk grinder on mine

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

by damn, if i would have known about those, i would have got one instead of the 90 degree angle triangle vibratory sander i got. it works well, but that looks better!!!!! howmuch>?

4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Nice get up, Slapper. I gave some thought to one of those back in my shop days but passed on the idea thinking clearances might be a problem. Of course, when you're dragging in the big $$$ or you get the shop to buy one, it's easier to take a chance!:laugh:

I've tried about every thing possible--carbide bits, 4" air disc grinder, etc. I've finally settled on the miniature 1/16"x3" cut off wheels in a right angle die grinder. Offset the blades as you pictured and use the side of the cut off wheel. It sure cuts the job down to size--using a carbide bit was too time consuming.

5. piston slapper

How did you know I got the boss to buy it?....actually got them to buy one for the shop and one for myself. With extra belts of course.:cool2:

It only takes about 5 mins to completely sharpen a set of blades.
    Sanding only takes off the leading edge and never gouges the blade.

Still looking around to see what tool the shop might need next....

6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Bingo!! Yeah, that's definitely the hot set-up. It's what I've used for quite a while. I usually use a big 3/4" dia carbide cylinder burr for mower blades. You can lay into 'em and no burn.

7. piston slapper

Fish...I used to use a die grinder , but it seemed to eat too much off the blades.
    The expense of replacing the blades and the labor to do it was a good money maker when I ran a repair shop.
    Now that I'm on the other side of the counter,I'm trying to earn that big paycheck,and save the boss a few bucks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Anybody ever try using a Dremel hand tool with the sand tip?

9. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

I usually just go old school and use a file

10. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

I absolutely hate sharpening hedge trimmer blades. Usually the blades are just fine but coated in sap, so I soda blast them and they come out looking like new. Nicked and dull blades I use my chain sharpener set at 0 degrees. I have thought about buying that tool, looks like it works well.