1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hedge trimmer which are best

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Penn Landscape Management, Aug 27, 2012.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Pugs...look inside any Stihl or better grade Shindiawa....
    They have needle bearings on the rods......bearings are not replaceable..
    I've had to pick through the grease to find enough needle bearings to put a rod back together many times...
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

The articulated Shindaiwa doesnt have any. I see them listed for the normal hedge trimmers though.

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

I stand corrected....its been awhile since I had to go into one of those gearboxes...they don't break too often when you grease them...
    Guess I figured all Shindiawas had needle bearings. I was due to get one wrong sooner or later..
    You got me....Pugs...
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I dont see enough Shindaiwas for repair so just going by pictures. Of course I only looked at the articulated ones so was confused LOL.

I mostly see Tanaka's and rarely have to go into the gearbox but they dont have any needle bearings on the rods.

Now that I think about it I think I had one older Shindaiwa apart and the needles were everywhere.

5. Belgium

Belgium LawnSite Member

Stihl km130 pole trimmer and maruyama hedge trimmers. We use them 9-10 hours a day, 6 days a week for about 6 months a year. They last us 1.5 years, that's with proper maintenance of course.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

PISTON, DO you really think the Shindaiwa is well made?
    I use the Shindaiwa AH231 almost daily and never had an issue with it. I would like to hear more.....
    Have you ever checked out the older Maruyama stick hedge trimmers? Built like tanks and are about as heavy as one. I would say close to a Stihl, maybe more.

7. DJ1000RR

DJ1000RR LawnSite Member

Currently Im debating between Poulan Pro 25HHT and Fixed Hedge Clipper Attachment (Kawasak 99969-6080 20" 7mm Fixed HC Attachmenti) which will be attached KBL27C unit. Anyone have any suggestions.

8. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

The guy on my crew was once one of the best but he is now about 64, and getting shaky at best. His quality of work is going down hill fast.

I would love to find another good guy for my crew.

I would also like to hear about equipment but that likely would not help the quality of work.

9. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Pugs,
    Are you talking about the articulating pole Tanaka hedge trimmers?
    I'm wondering because I got a good deal on a TPH-210 that I'd like to put on my TCG 22 EAS SLP trimmer. Do you know if that (the TPH-210) is a good hedgetrimmer head? Will the trimmer run the hedge trimmer head OK?

Thanks for any input. Almost no one around here has heard of Tanaka.

10. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Pugs,
    Are you talking about the articulating pole Tanaka hedge trimmers?
    I'm wondering because I got a good deal on a TPH-210 that I'd like to put on my TCG 22 EAS SLP trimmer. Do you know if that (the TPH-210) is a good hedgetrimmer head? Will the trimmer run the hedge trimmer head OK?

Thanks for any input. Almost no one around here has heard of Tanaka.