Hedge Trimmer which one, Stihl HS45, or Kawasaki KHT600D

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blake101, Jun 23, 2010.

1. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

Okay which one the Stihl HS45 , or the Kawasaki KHT600D ?

Leaning toward the Kaw. If I do get the Kaw can I use the same oil gas mixture that I use in my Stihl equipment?

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

If you already run Stihl equipment, why not just get the HS45? I've got an HS45 and its a very nice machine. I don't do a whole lot of hedge trimming so it doesn't get used a ton, but it does everything I need and plenty more.

3. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know Stihl, I did look into this a little, I cannot find the IPL( illustrated parts list) and look at the parts diagram like the Kawi. That bugs me some because if anything happened, I don't know what to order. Stihl seems to discourage "do it yourselfer" and I am not willing to pay $100 to have someone fix something that is only $300!!! Also I cannot comment on Stihl's gear box because I cannot get the diagram......I tried here and arborist site where Stihl is big there with no luck.

I forgot to mention yesterday. If your Costco sell SWISHER hedge trimmer, that is a rebranded Shindaiwa for cheap. It is a 4 cycle trimmer like the Shindaiwa DH2510. I don't know how cheap, but we have been talking about their trimmers in Costco really cheap......Like almost half priced cheaped. I can't find the IPL for the Swisher to 100% confilm this but they should be the same. Do a search on "Swisher" in this forum, we got a few posts about this and read it.

4. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know anything about the hs45 but I do have a 600d. I've put about 20 hours on it so far and it starts and runs great so far, cuts pretty nice too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. blake101

Alan do you know how big of a stick the Kaw 600D will cut?

6. blake101

Does anyone know how thick of a branch it will cut?

7. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

I forget the specs but i've chewed through some 3/4"-1" branches with it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. blake101

Well I guess it's all over with now, just bought the Kaw 600D. For 315.00
    Thanks for everyone's help.......

9. blake101

Thanks Alan and Greenery for your input.....

10. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

That's good price, I have been checking on ebay, the cheapest was $329!!! AND they don't sell to People's republic of Kalifornia!!!:cry::cry::cry:

Darn liberal state!!!!