hedge trimmer?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by hossmp, May 26, 2006.

1. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

Hello guys, does anyone have any suggestions or pros and cons on different hedgetrimmers? I am not brand loyal to redmax, stihl, or shindaiwa for that matter. I have some of each brand. I have good dealers in my area. The one that I have used is a tanaka and I liked it but wanted to see what people on this site thought about the other big names. Thanks in advance

2. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not a professional yet but I did buy a stihl hs81t 30" last week or so ago. It works good and has a lot of power. It doesn't vibrate much and is pretty quiet. I like the rotating handle because my wife is a lefty and I'll send her out to do yard work every once in awhile. All of that said I have nothing to compare it to as I have never owned a hedge trimmer other than this one.

3. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

The Stihl HL 100 K is a beast. I bought one about two weeks ago. The articulating head is awesome! I couldn't have done the job I was doing without it. It gets heavy after using it for awhile. I think Echo's articulating hedge trimmers are lighter, but I don't think the actual head is as heavy duty. I've heard that the articulating part gets loose after a time.

4. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have heard good things about Tanaka hedge trimmers. I am in the market for a unit as well. I have been looking pretty much at the differant Stihl models. I am probably going to go with the HS 80 model. I get fantastic dealer support from the local Stihl dealer which can't be ignored. Good luck!

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

redmax makes the best hedge trimmers period. i cut lots of hedges and have used them all. echo -by far the worst. if you want a nice lite unit -get the shindawia homepro