Hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by buckrufr, Apr 25, 2008.

1. buckrufr

buckrufr LawnSite Member

I'm looking at 22" to 26" double-sided hedge trimmers for shaping shrubs mostly. I had an old single-blade Shindaiwa T20 that was so heavy it wore me out, and was hard to start and I finally retired it. Two of my friends in this business recommend Shindaiwa again, but some of the other brands offer smaller, more easy to use models - adjustable rear handle, lighter and less $.

My dealer recommends either Tanaka HTD 2522 PF-22" or Husqquavna 123 HD65-24" for under $350.

I'm having trouble deciding and need your opinion, please. Thank you.

2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

The only one that is light and good review is Redmax CHT2200, I think is 22" at 9.5lb if you can get it. not all state sell it. No rotatable handle though.

3. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 Stihl HS 81 T's with the 24" blades. Great trimmers, the handles rotate. They weigh about 11.5 lbs, but they run smooth as silk. Cost was $425 each.

4. yungman

from Calif.

You think it has enough power. I was looking at one in the store, looks and feel very good. According to the spec, it is only 0.9 hp vs redmax 1.2 hp. But the important thing is when you use it which I have not, tell me how it is.:waving:

5. Scagguy

The only thing I can compare it to is Echo's HC150 which is what these replaced. It's a lot better, less vibration, feels better in your hands. These trimmers see about 5-6 hours of use per week and have had no problems with them. We cut a lot of branches 1/2" dia or better.

6. yungman

from Calif.

Thanks, that is exactly I am replacing. I consider the HC151 enough power. It is just too short and I want a new toy!! I'll keep this in mind.

7. Scagguy

Good luck with whatever you choose.

8. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

That get's my vote as well. Exaust out the front, rotating handle, very strong sharp and fast blades and no vibration whatsoever.

9. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

i got a Kawasaki from Lesco three seasons ago - one of the best $250 i ever spent - used ocassionally - starts great - it's the only one i've owned so i can't compare but it's the size of an echo so i'd presume the same weight - i would by a second - actually i would by anything that Kawasaki makes - i have a trimmer that has been great too

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Get the lightest one possible. Once you start using one, you'll know why.