Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Sprinkler Buddy, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of tools have you used to sharpen your hedge trimmer blades?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a corona hand pruner sharpener (little metal scraper, don't know the technical term). and it worked pretty well, but will prob. take it apart before winter pruning.

3. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a pneumatic grinder http://www.harborfreight.com/air-angle-die-grinder-32046.html. It's a super easy way to sharpen trimmers. It's way better then a Dremel or other tools. The flat grinding wheel makes it easy to keep the correct angle on the blades. It's also very cheap for the tool and cut off wheels.

4. Mike A

Mike A LawnSite Member

I've always used a dremel but may check one of these out. Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. PlantscapeSolutions

I had used a Dremel tool in the past as well and this method is a world better.

6. Chuck Norris

What all do you need as far as tools go when you buy something like to to sharpen blades? The reason I ask is because I have no tools what so ever
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont buy tools for the shapener that i buy, but rather look for ways to sharpen tools i have...............?? Is that your question?:confused:

8. Chuck Norris

Like what all tools do I need for this grinding tool to work? Like an air compressor or what?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. "cutter ASY" is very helpful me and my team always use it.

10. PlantscapeSolutions

Yes you need an air compressor. I use a unit like this http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Haus...Compressor/dp/B000KKWIK0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_16. I take the plastic cover off the motor to help it cool better. With the cover on mine gets too hot from extended use and it will turn off. I only paid about $150 for mine as a reconditioned Home Depot unit. Mine new was about $200 ten years ago. The day it dies I will buy a better model meant for running air tools.