hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by logan, Jan 26, 2005.

1. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

What kind of hedge trimmer do you recommend? I have an echo with the 3 foot blade, I think it's 3 feet. What do you guys think about the longer ones with the blades that swivel 90 degrees?

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I have both. I use Shindaiwa, I have the 30" trimmers , as well as the articulating trimmers on a weed eater power head. They both do a good job.

3. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I too have an Echo (HC-1500). It's probably one of the best handheld gas trimmers you can get. Try out some others and you'll find that they're too heavy, or not well balanced. They may do an equal job, but your arms will be dead at the end of the day.

The long ones with a rotating head at the end of the pole are great for trimming arbs or hard to reach stuff. They're about double the cost. I haven't needed one yet. I've always used the handheld and a ladder. I've only had to turn down 1 job becuase I couldn't reach.....and it was really a job I didn't want anyways.

Stick with Echo. Also, John Deere makes a good, well balanced unit.

Echo's can now be bought at Home Depot....but I would suggest going to the local dealer to buy it instead. You'll pay only about $10 more, but they can service it for you....Home Depot ships it out and makes you wait 4-6 weeks if you need any warranty work done. It's worth the extra $10.

4. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

We have 1 Sthil HS80 and two Red Max HS2300's. I've replaced the bearings on the redmax tranny for both units. Also had throttle cables replaced but not bad for being dogged over three years. I have done nothing to the Stihl but replace the starter cord. It is heavier than redmax but has a nice rotating handle. Personally I like the Stihl, just my .02 cents. :D