Hedge Trimmers - Double-sided or Single-sided

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by daltonbuck, May 26, 2005.

1. daltonbuck

daltonbuck LawnSite Member

I am looking into buying my first set of Hedge Trimmers. I have it narrowed down to brand. Shindaiwa. Its all I use except for a Maruyama line trimmer I use.

My question is this: what are the pro and cons and more importantly the DIFFERENCE and advantages of using a Single sided trimmer as opposed to the Double sided. They seem to be relatively the same as far as pricing goes. SO why would one want to purchase one with only one side?

Can you explain this ti me to help me better understand?
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Single sided usually have a longer bar. I would go double sided for a all around trimmer. I just recently bought a pair of Tanaka THT-210s. You can see my review in the Tanaka forum.
  3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I have used them both and prefer the double sided long bar models. I use Echo and until there was a distributor change Robin made a great one.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

You Have Much Better Balance and Control and Less Fatigue w/the Off Set Handle on the Single Sided Units....Also Bigger Bars Avail..

The Double Sided are For Rookies and Girls...They're Easier to Learn but Not Nearly as Good.
  5. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

You must have alot of them duuble sided ones huh
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

B.S.... There is absolutely nothing " wrong " with the double sided machines... I'd say it's really just boils down to what YOU, the operator likes..Not what calvin likes.
  7. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Its true. Get the big 40" ones and put a scoop on the side with no cutting blades on it.
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

The double sided will save you time and money. Fareway just wants attention.
  9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

double only way to go!
  10. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Definately go with double. I have Shindaiwa ones and love em. Although they are a little heavy they have plenty of power. I hate trimming shrubs though.