1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hedge Trimmers running nitrus

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

My hedge trimmers were acting WEIRD today, i need to figure out what the deal is...i would be running them and flip them over and every which way just fine then suddenly they would reach some impressively high RPM's and then go back down to normal and then if i let off the trottle after they hit those high rpm's it would die...and it wasn't to easy to start back...it died about 3 times during my cutting today, but it was reving up and going down (not staying steedy rpm) and i know my finger wasn't moving that much...haha, what could be wrong? also has anyone looked at the insert forhusqvarna products in the magazines? if so what is that green lawnmower on the back? is it a self mowing thingor what?
  2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like the fuel filter was not completely submerged in gasoline in the fuel tank. Moving it all around will do that and cause it to suck fumes. It will turn a little higher when this happens.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My Stihl chainsaw does the same thing when its almost put of fuel. It will gain a bunch of RPM's and scream.
  4. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

You should also check the fuel mixture. I usually operate at 50:1. Either a too high, or too low mixture may result in differing RPM's.
  5. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like it was running to lean..
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The green thing you saw in the flyer was just that-a self cutting lawn mower. Made to do smaller areas like courtyards and such, it is fully programable, and automatically returns to it's charger compartment for a recharge when it gets low. If I ever come upon one of these on my jobs, it's going to be a Battlebots episode, and I'm going to come out on top!lol:)
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like a vacuum leak.If thats it it may stay there a while but will get worse.AGREVATING AS HECK.

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with awm, sounds like a vacuum leak, also when it starts sucking air its going to up the rpm big time. You need to check the compression and also check the fuel line. Compression should be around 100 I think,if you have a leaking head gasket it will run like you just described. check with your dealer on the compression ratio.

[Edited by AVRECON on 03-20-2001 at 09:30 AM]
  9. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I had an echo blower do the same thing earlier this spring. It would run good, then all of a sudden try to die. I spent about $15.00 and bought a carb kit, fuel filter and a new primer. Its running great now, but I'm not positive which one solved the problem.