Hedge Trimmers - Single or Double?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by JTF40, Sep 7, 2006.

1. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I am about to purchase a set of hedge trimmers for my personal use. I am NOT interested in doing everyone elses hedges. I will be trimming mostly boxwoods. Do I need/want single or double sided trimmers? Tell me the good/bad/ugly. :usflag:

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Just be sure to get something that will trim bigger than what you will think you need. I bought a set of cheap hedge trimmers for personal use and they only cut up to 3/4". I should have went the next size up. But I was trying to save some green and ended up not getting what I really needed. BTW,They seem to have some good deals on ebay. I was looking at them last night.

3. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I run Stihl double sided with their "large" engine. I can cut up to about 1.5" easy and 3" if I love it a little. I prefer double sided especially on boxwoods and most hedges because you can run the trimmer back and forth without having to worry about which way you blades are cutting. Just my own opinion though.

4. JTF40

Yea, I know. I was checking Ebay, also. There is a Kawasaki 24" commercial trimmer on there for $269.00 I like. :usflag:

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer the double sided blades as well. What-ever you do, get a good set that can be sharpened and don't go getting junk. Redmax hedgecutters rev extremely fast and leave a nice cut. Echo's don't rev as much as the redmaxes but the leave a great cut as well.

6. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

i like double sided. what are the benefits of single sided?

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Double sided, single sided are mainly for use on large shrubs where it is impractical to make multiple sweeps at once.

I like my stihl HS-80's but they are probably overkill for you.

8. JTF40

I have ordered a Redmax CHT2200 (dealer says he can't keep them in stock). Are the Redmax blades sharpenable :)hammerhead: )?

9. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

i love my redmax chtz2400 with a 24" bar. They work great and are double sided. But i can't say they are better than singled sided because i nevera tried a single sided out. If you wanna get a double sided pair go with the redmax chtz2400 because it is not to heavy, has enough power to cut normal hedgetrimming and has a 30" or 24" bar length.oo and it does pretty good on fuel and has a rotating handle like the stihls LawnInOrder