1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hedge trimmers. Single or Double?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lonnie, Mar 24, 2004.

1. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

What do you think is the most versatile. This will be my first and I don't think it will be used that much but I have a job that needs it.
  2. MR. Nomo

MR. Nomo LawnSite Member

My opinion may be baised because I have only owned double sided hedge trimers.

I believe they are the most versitile because you can with each motion you make if desired.
    Double sided you can cut down then up, down then up.
    Single sided you would cut down move back up and then cut down again.
    I believe you can cut @ 25% quick with the double sided ones.

Again, this is just my baised opion.....
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Double sided is the way to go. Also buy the pro grade ones. They will have a larger space between the teeth. This makes them cut much better. Also the 30inch blade length makes the job much easier and faster.
  4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I too am a fan of the double sided one. I have used both. One thing you may want to consider though is how much are you going to be using them? If your not going to be using them a lot does the price difference in the two really warrant you buying the double? JMO.
  5. Steady Mowing

Steady Mowing LawnSite Member

I have found that single sided trimmers make trimming tight areas around houses and other shrubs very difficult. They are nice for long hedges that can be accessed from both sides. I prefer the double sided trimmer and wouldn't ever buy a single sided trimmer.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Double is the way to go for several reason's, actually.
  7. SUPERIOR Lawn Design

SUPERIOR Lawn Design LawnSite Member

Doubles only... Have used both, and never will again.
  8. Zito

Zito LawnSite Member

There's a commercial on the radio as I'm typing this, and some guy is saying "why pay the same price for a matress if you can only use one side?"

Can anyone say anything positive about single blades?
  9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

there is one guy on this site that just thinks they are the best, but he is the only one.
  10. amar

amar LawnSite Member

Double all the way I have two a Stihl HS45 24" home owner model which works well becauce we dont use it every day. The second one is a Stihl 30" HS80 Comericial model. Caution don't buy it unless you have the muscle to back it up it gets your back sore real fast, and your arms get pumped fast. The ultimate combo would be a pole trimmer HL100K and a HS45