1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hedge trimmers- Stihl or Echo?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tx Firefighter, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

I'll be buying my first gas powered hedge trimmer on Saturday or Monday. My local dealers, that I use, carry Echo and Stihl.

So, can anybody recommend any particular model, or features to get? I do want double sided, right? Rotating handle?

Again, Echo or Stihl are the two choices, so please don't bother recommending any other brands that you have had good luck with.

Thanks all, your comments are welcomed
  2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

ummmmm ehhhhhhhh ughhhhhh

OK I won't do it!! I just don't care for either...why not purchase over the net another brand..surely there are dealers of other products in you area..I have had a set of trimmers for over 5 years now and they ROCK!!! but I will hold back and not say the name:p
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My first gas hedge trimmer was an Echo. I hated it! The exhaust blew straight down and usually went in your face. I would come home and my wife would say that I smelled like smoke. I have 2 Stihl HS80 trimmers with the rotating handles. Lots of power and they cut great. So my vote is for the Stihl brand.
  4. JDOG

JDOG LawnSite Member

Stihl....I like echo engines but it seems like everything built around them is just ok. Ask your dealer which he prefers and ask one of the service guys as well.
  5. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

sthil and echo both have been good for me .I do like the sthil better thou
  6. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I have to do it anyway even thought you asked NOT to. Maruyama!!! hands down they are the best I have ever used.

CO.d 502nd Are you a Wallace? That is my last name.
  7. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the stihl hs75 and I like it a lot. However, I don't have much experience with other brands.
  8. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I know it's between Stihl and Echo but in my opinion Tanaka makes the best trimmer around. Smooth as silk. I have both. The Echo is brand new 3 weeks ago. I still pick up the Tanaka every time. I was in a jam and had to buy the Echo. Other wise I would have never know how great my Tanaka's are.
  9. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl all the way...I used to use Echo, switched to Stihl and never regretted it...Stihl is built better, does the job better, and holds up better...remember, you get what you pay for...
  10. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

My mother was a wallace ,her mom and dad came here in 1923 from ayrshire the same place the greastest of all scotsmen william wallace came from ayrshire.