Hedge Trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CommercialCuts, Mar 24, 2001.

1. CommercialCuts

CommercialCuts LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Looking to buy some new hedge trimmers. Give me some advice on the best ones to buy or what you guys like.
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I hate my Echo 1500 hedge trimmers. I'll get Stihl or Shindaiwa next time!
  3. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the stihl pro model. The handle twists for use in different positions, and it has LOTS of power. Feels like a really quality piece of equipment. I got too er' em.
  4. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Ditto that on the stihl with twist handle!
    Nice tool!
  5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo HC1500 and the Echo HC1600 we like them both.
  6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes LawnSite Member
    from WNY

I run the new Kawasaki's 30" single side. Some guys like the double sided better
  7. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I also would look at the Stihl FS85 string trimmer and a 0-90 deg. articulating hedge trimmer in place of the trimmer head. It's a little heavy, but boy is it good for big bushes.
  8. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Hey eslawn,

How much did you pay for the articulated head trimmer attachment?

I paid 189.00 plus tax...Was just wondering if I got robbed..
  9. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

I love the stihl that I use. Don,t remember the model number cause i havn,t looked at it since last season but it is the one sided blade and is about 32" long. I also have used an echoe and I hate it Just dosn,t feel right in my hands and I keep burning myself on the exhaust
  10. i dont do much hedge trimming, but when i do here is what i use: an echo ht? 1500. not bad for small stuff. i used a friend's stihl trimmer that was on a shaft and had i think like a 30 or 45 degree angle to it. you can use that thing for most any shrub, just not the real small ones, or in tight areas. i am gonna get however for my HT75 a hedge trimmer attachment. that is gonna run me like 200 dollars, however once i have that then i can do hedges up to maybe 15' tall or so without a ladder. (i am 5'10 / pole pruner is fully extended i think 11 1/2') so that wont be bad. something for small something for big. i wouldnt suggest goin and gettin the pole saw with the hedge clipper unless you do a lot of big shrubs cause that thing gets heavy fast. especially if you have it up all the way. plus also it is like 800 dollars for that right there as opposed to the 500? for the fixed angle trimmer. as for the echo articulated one, tried that too.. not as much power as the stihl ones. maybe it is just that one is fixed and the other moves i dont know...