Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nautiq544, Jun 22, 2006.

1. nautiq544

nautiq544 LawnSite Member

I'm looking into buying a hedge trimmer. What are the advantages and disadvantages of adjustable head trimmers. Does anyone have The Shin. AHS231. (its the shorter adj. head trimmer). Is $300 a good price for an AHS231 thats 5 months old? The used machine was traded for a longer one.

Thanks in advance.
  2. rnewton

rnewton LawnSite Member
    from 72801

Do you need adj. I have used stihl hedge trimmers and they work great. Cant go wrong buying them. You can get a great trimmer for around $300-$400 with double blade action. They cut good.
  3. nautiq544

Is an adjustable head really needed? Are that that much better?
  4. guven

guven LawnSite Member

I just bought HL 135 ( stihl) hedge trimmer attachment and FS90 trimmer, I love it, I was going to buy FS110 , they were out of FS110 I got the FS 90, little heavy but good < I love it. if I need another attachment I can buy it and use it, it is very easy to change the head.
  5. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

I just bought the Echo HC-150 and I love it. I have never seen an adjustable head trimmer but do not see what the advantage would be, unless you are doing very tall hedges.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have two Echo articulating head trimmers and like them a lot. When bushes get around 4 foot and over these trimmers are great. We no longer have to use a step ladder and it easier to get a better shape. And most importantly you can change the angle so you use different muscles if you are in a long job. We have 3 of the lightweight Echo 1500 and those are good also. We went many many years without the bigger unit and if you aren't going into a lot of bush trimming they are probably not worth the money.
  7. nautiq544

For $300 vs. $400 new this one might be a steal since a cheaper HT is around that anyways? Don't have a lot of hedges yet but most of the lawns I'm gettig are in older areas with more mature growth.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search, this was just covered last week.
  9. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I do mostly cuts and mulching, but you know peopel ask for every thing so i purchased a weed eater cheap one about a month ago for $139. Well this sucker has paid me back twice and has stainless cut blades. I just can spend that much for a commercial one when i don't use it evry day. So far i am happy with it and it works like a champ. Hey the other day i saw a guy in the bucket of a loader and he just had weed trimmer and they were working on a hedg row about 8 ft. high and 5 ft. deep look ok after they were done and guy didn't have to lean so far in.