1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tazz, Mar 18, 2000.

1. tazz

tazz LawnSite Member
    from georgia

what brands have you guys found to be the best hedge trimmer out there fixed or articulating?
  2. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

3. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

The ECHO I'm using now is good, the air filter is too small so it has to be cleaned often and I wish the bar was longer, but overall it works very well. I've rented the Shtil and didnt like it. Had a Redmax until the gearbox eventually died. It was the best machine of all, but like everything else it will wear out. Didn't buy another because there was no local dealer.
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I use Red Max, double sided 24" bar,12 years old still runs great.I don't do a lot of hedges.
  5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Right now all I am using a Maruyama HT260D, it is kind of a hybrid. It is set up like the extended reach models, but with a shorter shaft, so you can use it pretty much anywhere. I also have a Tanaka and Echo but I don't even use them. I might try a double sided Shindaiwa when I find some money :)<br>
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I have two echo hc2000's, one an old beater which I use for heavy rough stuff, another a newer one for fine work like yews and privet. Both 30 inch single side blade. I wouldnt trade a single side for double. Single side are the best, drop it in the hedge at least ya dont chop it to hell. A little sore on the forearm though when you need to hold it out at arms length one-handed to reach the center of an exceptionally wide hedge. You feel like popeye the rest of the day.<p>Bill
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have a echo trimmer now that works good. But the best I had was a john deere. it was stolen though
  8. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

9. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Tazz,just purchased a Husqvarna 225/60 unit with a 24&quot;double sided blade. 24.5cc engine. Was on the shelf for several months and when they took it in the back to fire it up to make adjustments it started on the second pull. I had a Weedeater brand I bought last year BIG MISTAKE!!! First job out I got about half done and shut it off to talk to the customer for a few minutes and the damn thing would not start up. Pulled and pulled and ripped out the starter rope. Was down for days. Dealer said the cheaper trimmers and hedge clippers get vapor lock and will not run til they cool down. So just buy a quality Clipper to start,I had to learn the hard way. Goes back to you get what you pay for. Hope this helps,just hate to see someone else make the same mistake I made.
  10. richard

richard Banned

i have the echo shc 2100 it's hedge trimmer mounted on weed eater it's fixed and it rocks! the articulating ones have some gear box problems i've heard...