Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jaeger, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Jaeger

Jaeger LawnSite Member

I got to thinking, that of all the power equipment out there and the associated price, hedge trimmers are by far the most expensive.

Blowers, trimmers, decent lawn mowers, chain saws and stik edgers.
    By far a decent pair of hedgetrimmers cost the most. About $300.00 to start.
    I contribute this to the mechanical complexity and blade quality. Reciprocating transmissions are somewhat complex to create durable and built to withstand commercial applications.

I have a few pairs myself and looking at my Husqvarna single sided model, I see excellent quality swedish steel horned to hardened razor sharpness and a durable gearcase which could power a tank.

Just a FYI I quess.:)
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I've been shopping for one, and noticed the same thing.

But like you said, more complexity, more price. And the blades have to be somewhat expensive to manufacture compared to moving parts for something like a trimmer or blower or edger.
  3. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

I agree, I have 3 Maruyama double sided hedge trimmers, and one of my guys caught a chain link fence, had to have the blades replaced, 100 bucks. But these things are awesome! Sure beats the old way, doing it with shears.
  4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i recently used a set of maruyama doubles and they were killer. they will be my next pair.
  5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

They may cost more but you sure can make a lot of $$ with them.
  6. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, that's the idea :) more initial cost to save labor time and energy is always a good deal.