Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fivestarlawnken, Aug 16, 2001.

1. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I'am looking to buy hedge trimmers soon,my question is do the single bladed longer blades offer more advantages or do the double bladed work best?I've only used echo 1500 series double sided before.Thank you!!!:rolleyes:

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I like having the double sided blade. My stihl's have a handle that rotates so you can really get into close places. Both sides of the blades are always getting used.

3. casey

casey Guest

The Echo HC2410 (single sided-40" blade) will save you alot of time over any double sided hedger. I have 2 Echo HC 1600 & they never get used since purchasing the 2410. Go with the longest blade single sided you can & you will save time.

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

If you will be doing 5 miles of hedge 10' tall every month, I would tell you to get the single sided, longer blade.

If you will be doing the animal shaped topiaries at disneyland every week, I would tell you to get the double sided shorter blade.

I always had more of a need for a shorter blade, double sided for shaping shrubs. If the need arises, you could always buy another one for hedges.

But anyway, thats what the criteria should be when choosing a trimmer.

Good Luck, and let us know what you end up with!

5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I have to agree with Guido on this too.

I do mostly shrubs/shaping...and very few straight/flat hedges.

The single-sided type took a lot more effort on my part to do round and cone shaped bushes.

I went out and bought a Redmax CHT-22 double-sided that have 'articulating' blades and I don't even bother with the single-sided trimmers anymore...even when I do hedges. :)

I guess that the best thing to do is compare the two types and see whats best for your needs.

6. casey

casey Guest

I found once my guys got used to the single sided they could do smaller hedges & shrubs with it as well as with the double & it is much more versatile since you can do bigger hedging much faster. Don't do any animal shaped topiaries though.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

The single-sided are more precise for fine work, but be warned; if you try to cut thru 1/2 inch stuff wirh a single sided trimmer, since there is no blade on the opposite side to counteract spreading forces the blades will bend and/or wear slightly giving you poor performance on fine bushes such as yews and all the sharpening in the world cant fix it. New blade set time.

I have two Echo HC-2000 machines on the shelf collecting dust just because of this.

8. cleancutdude

cleancutdude LawnSite Member

GO FOR THE STIHL HS85 SINGLE SIDE CLIPPERS AS THE
    RIGHT HAND HANDLE IS CLOSE TO THE ENGINE THIS
    MAKES FOR MORE USEABLE CUTTING AREA
    I'D ALSO RECOMMEND FITING AN ECHO STYLE DEFLECTOR
    THIS STOPS YOU CUTTING IN TO DEEP AND REMOVES CLIPPING FROM THE TOP OF THE HEDGE AS YOU CUT SAVING TIME
    I'VE HAD HS85 FOR SEASONS NOW AND DO ALOT OF HEDGE CUTING AT LEST 2 FULL DAYS A WEEK AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS

9. cleancutdude

cleancutdude LawnSite Member

I APOLAGIZE FOR MY TYPING:eek:

10. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

well guys i feel i got lucky today, i picked up a returned pair of echo 1500 series hedge trimmers today at home depot(no comments).i couldnt pass up the price 130.00!!!!!!!! they were used once and they fired up first pull and i still got the full warranty. they were half off the 270.00 regular price tag..:blob3: