1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Frontier-Lawn, Aug 8, 2007.

What typr of blade do you have on your hedgr trimmer?

1. Single Sided

3 vote(s)
  2. Double Sided

53 vote(s)
  1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

So what size, brand, and blade stlye do you use and why? also how many.
  2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Redmax 2200. Light weight and big enough to do what I do. Also extended articulating trimmer for high work.
  3. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

Not that I recommend this, but I'm still using a homeowner grade Homelite 22" hedge trimmer. When I first started, I already had one for the house and none of my accounts had anything to trim. When I first got a couple accounts that asked for it, I figured I'd just use my Homelite till it died. Still waiting, that little unit cuts great and it's still chugging along.

I'll replace it with a Kawasaki someday, but as long as it's unaware that it's a POS, I'll let it keep right on working. It's paid for itself about 200X over. I bought it new in the box for $25 from a neighbor going through a divorce!

I still don't have any accounts that require an extended...when I do I'll get the Kombi system from Stihl and use theirs...it'll give me an excuse to buy the power scythe, something I really want for cutting poison ivy.
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Echo 150 double sided. I try not to do too much hedge trimming, but sometimes I have to. For the amount they get used the 150 is fine.
  5. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl double sided, we have three of the larger units. We also use a stihl pole hedge trimmer.
  6. caddman27

caddman27 LawnSite Member

I've been real happy with the 26" Tanaka's. I just used them for 3 straight hours on a long hedge row. It cut em like butter.
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

for small hedge trimmers -redmax is tops- extended length-my old sthil hk75 is still the best i have used -for articulated -shind 230 is my choice
  8. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I'm using a stihl HS 45. It's double sided, and I like that. It has bumpers on the bar to reduce the chance of an accident, I don't like that. I am considering grinding them off since I am the only one who uses it. They seem to keep the branches from entering the teethe as easily as they could without them.
  9. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

All-around trimmer is Maruyama 24" double sided. Smoothest, most effecient trimmers I've ever used. I do a good bit of hedges and each situation is unique. If reach is an issue I switch to 40" single sided Husqvarna. Weight is a very important consideration... Holding 20 pounds straight out at arms length for an hour at a time can take it out of a man.
  10. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

Stihl double sided