hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wyboo, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Wyboo

Wyboo LawnSite Member

Will not be long until we start trimming bushes. What do ya'll recommend. We have about 200 yards to do so I need something heavy duty.

2. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We sell alot of the Kawasaki hedge trimmers. Their blade speed is the fastest I've seen. Echo, Stihl, etc. all make good units.

3. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We use ECHO and a strong back....:weightlifter:

4. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Tanaka is a good one

5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

you considering the handheld type with a blade like around 12-14" or the long pole type similar to the string trimmers that usually have a strap that goes over your shoulder and a longer blade 20"+.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use the hs-45 myself but I'm sure 200 yards would wear it out, then again it depends how many you're buying...
    I bought mine 5 year ago and use it about a dozen times a year, all depends how many crew members you got will be using one...
    If you got 20 guys tackling 200 jobs then 10-20 x Hs-45's would likely be enough.

The hs-45 is light enough once you get used to it can be wielded with one hand.
    Because it's the weight, it's a back killer, the power is no problem with any of them.
    Of course the lighter the machine, the sooner it wears down.

So you might want something heavier, like this:

http://www.stihl.us/hedgetrimmers/HS81T.html]HS 81 T & HS 81 R Hedge Trimmer

You probably also want a string trimmer attachment(s) that converts a string trimmer into a poled hedge trimmer.
    That helps reach tight and high up spaces.

7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't think your link is working topsites. At least I couldnt get it to work.

8. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Speaking of the HS-45 trimmer, what have you guys found to be the best way to sharpen the blades? And how often do you do it? We have 2 hedgetrimmers and we sharpen them a few times a year spring, mid summer, and fall. I have been using a rotozip like tool and am wondering if you guys have any other proven techniques for sharpening them>?

9. caddman27

caddman27 LawnSite Member

I really like the longer Tanaka.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The Echo line is pretty solid the 150 and 212 and the articulating unit. The 212 is a pretty darn good addition this year and is a very versital unit and easy to handle....it is used the most by all the guys. Got to keep these greased every 4 hours.