Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MX 158, Aug 27, 2003.

1. MX 158

MX 158 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I,m getting ready to purchase some hedge trimmers this week. I have been thinking about the Echo hc-180,is this a decent set to start out with? I,m really only interested in Echo or Stihl as these are my local dealers. Also what is a good price per shrub, or do you guestimate shrubs per hour & go from there?Do you lay something down to catch the clippings or just rake & blow them from the beds? Thanks! Sean

2. Tidycut

Tidycut LawnSite Member

I’m not sure that the way I do it is the right way for you. But, generally speaking I guesstimate the total time required, apply an hourly rate and give that figure to the customer. Try to envision the amount of plant material removed and how hard it will be to clean up and then guesstimate the time to do so. Tarps are very useful if you can utilize them for catching the debris, saves a lotta time IMO.

Rick

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I just bought the Echo hedge trimmer a couple of weeks ago.Works great!I had a lady that wanted some shrubs trimmed.I guesstimated how long it would take me and multiplied by my manhour price.Came out ahead as it took me less time than expected.
    As for laying anything down,I didn't.I'll be sure to do so in the future though.Cleanup took alot more time than trimming.
    I'm going to get some polyethalene(sp?) and cut it for each shrub.Then cut a slit to the middle and then slip it around the shrub base.After trimming I should be able to slide it out and empty it.

4. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

I have the HC-2000, they work great never a problem.

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We use a combination of raking and blowing to clean out the beds and bushes. It would seem to me that laying something down would be a hassle, especially if you have a crowded bed. I have never seen or heard of that being done.

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

As for the machine. Hold them in your hands, go with what feels good to you.

Generaly the cleanup is rake and blow out, get that together and take all our debris with us. Cleanup "is" the fastest part of the job.

Tarps, burlap or anything to catch the debris does have it's benefits where flowers are concerned. We use them when and where pratical.

7. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a HC-1600. It works well. But it pukes alot of oil out the muffler. After three hours of trimming my lawn shirts are oil stained around the area of my waist line. If the clippings are heavy, we pick them up by hand and then blow the rest to the lawn area were they can be raked up. In non stone beds like bark, we leave it lay. For coco beans you may want to take the time for that tarp!

8. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

I have the smallest trimmer Stihl makes. I think it's a HC 45. Used it today, and every time I use it I love it more.
    More than enough power, light weight, and good on gas. I would buy another one.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to agree with C&S. Light weight, powerfull enough, and lasts at least 1/2 hr on the tiny fuel tank.

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

So, in other words, you've just described another reason to spend a bit more and get the SHC-2100. Your shirt will like you as well as your lungs that don't have to breathe that exhaust, too.
    Pete