1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnboy5, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Lawnboy5

Lawnboy5 LawnSite Member

do any of you guys sharpen your own hedge trimmers and if so what is the best tool for the job and how is it done?
  2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

belt sander - 1" belt
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Hand file, and / or Dremel tool with angled sharpening stone. Usually leave the blades on the machine, sometimes take them off for a really good sharpening.

It is a royal pain, though.
  4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

1. I'd screw them up
    2. Agway does a super job for only $10
    3. My time is worth a whole lot more than $10 x 2 times per season
  5. Curtis

Curtis LawnSite Member

I've heard of using an angle grinder with a cut off wheel , their thin so it can get in close , you have to be careful not to take too much metal off.............
  6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: we use a 4" dewalt hand grinder, does a great job, very easy to do if you have the trimmer anchoered well. tony
  7. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

If I could get it done right for $10 I would send mine out-It takes me 45 minutes -taking them apart, putting them in a vice and I use a 4 inch Makita grinder-for touch ups I use a air angle grinder(its called somthing else)with a 2 inch 3m pad-I forget what number pad- this takes me 15-20 minutes-Harry
  8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

when they told me $10 I asked them if they had the right price...he said that was their rate for commercial customers...theres another tool repair place here that only charges $15 for the same work...Agway sharpens mower blades for only $2 each....I cant afford to do it myself for that small amount of money
  9. Lawnboy5

Lawnboy5 LawnSite Member

i just got charged $50 for a 24" double sided echo trimmer.
  10. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Gar pa-They come back sharp? Thats a great price -I cant see how they make money, we get charged about $50 here too. I would like to know how they sharpen them. I am not dobting your post I am realy curious-Harry