Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Terra Bella, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Terra Bella

Terra Bella LawnSite Member

I am relativley new to the business and I am looking for a 20" to 24" gas hedge trimmers and I would like some advise on which brand would be the best to buy. I am looking at Echo, Shindaiwa, or Husqvarna. I would like to know what you guys think is the best in terms of quality, and repair if needed. We currently use the echo trimmer with the hedge clipper attachment and we need somthing a little bit smaller.

2. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a similar decision to make a few weeks ago when my Stihl HS80 hedge trimmer died out. Though the Echo double sided trimmer was very favourably priced, I decided to go with the Shindaiwa DH230 24 inch dual sided hedge trimmer. I am glad I did as the machine is sweet. Even my dealer felt that the Shindaiwa was better than the Echo but the echo is a fine choice too.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I see you didnt mention stihl. I dont know if you dont have a dealer or dont like the stihl hedge trimmer. I dont have any experience with the models you mentioned. My stihl is 2 years old and served me well, there is a link to there web site in the sponsor section if you want to check out the specs

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I really like the Husky 326 hedge trimmers. The new models have a stronger gear box and caseing. They also have adjustable handles, which is nice for pirocantha, and it angles away so your hands dont hit the bushes.
    Very nice engine as well.

5. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

I agree w/ JoeD....Shin double sided hedge trimmer is great....

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Out of all the brands of handheld hedge trimmers I've used including Echo, Sthil, Deere and Little Wonder I liked the Little Wonder the best. Took a longer time to get back the Sthil models from the mechanic although it is a very popular brand here. I like Husquvarna stuff, takes long time to get parts here though. Matter of personal preference really. The Sthil seemed to vibrate more and used a little more gas. We had a single side I think it was a 30 inch model as well as one of the pole mount jobs. Why go smaller, just for less fatigue or do you do a ot of round edges where you only use a fraction of the blade?

7. Hometown

Hometown LawnSite Member

I use Little Wonder units here. I started using the electric ones and the gas just seemed to be the next best thing. I have never had mine fail me yet and it is 5yrs. running.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have used the little ECHO because it is LIGHT......compare weight! We have had a couple other brands and THEY are HEAVY. We have three ECHO units and have had no problems I couldn't repair.