Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscape89, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

Which brand name of a Commercial Hedge Trimmer do you all think is best?

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Stihl HS 80 with 30in bar, I cant say it is the best because I have don't tried all of the machines our there. It has plenty of power and we have not had a problem out of it. The only downside to this machine is it the weight, it's little heavy.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Used Little Wonder single side worked great, Echo also single side was not quite as good as the LW, and had used a Sthil single side, worked well but I left not long after we got it. Ditto on it being heavy though.

4. red raider04

red raider04 LawnSite Member

I also use the 30" stihl 80.....I love it for those jobs where you need just a little more reach because it can quicken the work up so much. But, on the other hand it is my only trimmer and I can't wait to get a lighter model. I would go with the lighter trimmer.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have a Redmax that I bought in the spring. I have only used it a couple times and it was worked well. I only had 60' of hedges to trim and man were my arms hurting. I would do a about 20 ft and have to stop, go back to raking leaves. I had to do this 3 different times. I would definetely use weight of the trimmer as a deciding factor, but not limiting to that.

6. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

I got sick of doing hedges and bushes by hand but couldn't really justify the expense of a Stihl or other quality item so I bought a cheap Chinese unit to get me through until I make my first million :rolleyes:
    It does the job OK but weighs a ton, I'm going to have arms like Arnie after a season of using it :dizzy:
    It's a Talon brand.

7. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Kawasaki KHD600B 24" double sided
    These machines have the fastest blade speed I've ever seen!

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

That all depends on what you are trimming. I would not recomend an a extended trimmer if your work is only 3' high. IN turn I would not recomend the handheld non extended trimmer if you work is 10'high. I have the Stihl hs45 with the 24" bar which is the low line of stihls product line. It works great and would buy more if needed. I also have the hedge trimmer attachment for my FC 110 that gets used maybe 3 times a year for taller shrubs.

I recomend the hs45 because of the weigth. It has enough power for almost anything. If you need a pole hedger I would recomend the fs110 with the attachment since you probably will not use it much.

In all essence go try them out and base it on what fits your hands the best. Power and weight.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have the stihl hs45 also, a good trimmer but kinda heavy.

10. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Stihl Pruners IMHO are the best. The biggest reason I like them is the blade design. They stay tight. I have 4 hs-80s and2 extension pairs-They hold up good-Harry