hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by turftammer, Dec 17, 2004.

1. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

I have a tanaka hedge trimmer that I was using a few weeks ago that would start and run fine but when I turn them with the blades pointed towards the ground they cut out and shut off. I haven't had time to take a look at them so thats all I know but any thoughts to save me a little time would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    Make sure the fuel line has no kinks in it - either outside the fuel tank or inside the fuel tank.

Mark Woodling
    Tanaka

3. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

We've never had this problem with our Tanaka dual-sided THT 2120 Pro Force hedge trimmer, or known of it existing within our dealer's service department who've carried Tanaka products for us since since 1997. Perhaps some debris is floating in your fuel tank or you're running it on vapors when this occurs. Be sure your fuel tank is emptied-out, then rinsed out well a couple times with 1/3 tank of fresh 2 cycle mix per each of 2 seperate rinses, then emptied out and then refilled with fresh mix when tank debris problems occur.

In the past 15 years, we've rented or owned the following brand names of hedge trimmers: Bosch, Echo, Redmax, Sthil, and Tanaka. Only Tanaka has provided for us zero downtime, save for routine fueling, annual maintenance of air cleaner cleaning and sparkplug replacement. Tanaka's balanced, ergo-design is so lightweight that we enjoy using it for 3-4 hours at a time, using it in our operations for 8-12 hours of shrub trimming each month for our residential customers. They love the results! Tanaka has the "umph" to power-through and make short work out of even the most cantankerous, volunteer-laden, shrub overgrowth. The original recoil/rope-start is a breeze!
    :rolleyes: :angel:

4. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Thanks for the excellent testimonial! FYI - Be sure to check out the next generation THT, the THT-210S with S Start.

Sincerely,

Mark Woodling
    Tanaka

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just looking at the THT-210S on your website. The thing that interested me about it was the variable handle - a bit like Stihl's? Having used the Stihl, I liked that particular feature. At least for me, it seemed to keep me from having to contort my arms as much. However, the weight of the Stihl gave my arms a good workout. The Tanaka is a bit lighter, but with a slightly smaller engine.

I'll be in the market for a trimmer this year and will have to look at the THT-210S.

6. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    Glad to hear it! If you would like, I will pass on your info to our rep in your area and set up a demo.

Email me at woodlingm@tanaka-ism.com.

Sincerely,

Mark Woodling
    Tanaka

7. Critical Care

I don't recall seeing Tanaka equipment at the local dealer, but next time I'm there I'll specifically look for it. Though I purchased my Walker mower from this dealer, they really have been targeting the recreational user rather than the professional. But, At any rate, I'll see if they have that 210S somewhere in or around all of the snowmobiles, ATVs, and motorcycles.

8. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    Before you go to your dealer, contact our rep, Fred Joyner at fjasn@comcast.net

He can set up an appt. to demo the unit.

-MW

9. Critical Care

Mark, as funny as it may sound, but I get the feeling that most of the salesmen out here locally would have a tough time figuring out which end of the trimmer to hold on to. Thanks for the info, and I'll hang on to Fred's e-mail address.

10. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    Unfortunately, I know what you are talking about. However, Fred is a pro - tons of experience in the industry and currently reps Ariens/Gravely as well.

-MW