1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hedge Trimming Clean Up

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by inline lawn care, Aug 16, 2007.

1. inline lawn care

inline lawn care LawnSite Member

What is the fastest method to clean up hedge clippings? Should you put
    something on the ground to catch the clippings? Should you pick up the clippings after your done?
  2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

(1) Large Leaf Sucker
    (2) Too much hassle.
    (3) Yes.
  3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i just use a leaf rake and then a grain shovel to load em up or i like to blow them out into the yard and then use the wb to bag em up
  4. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I use a large bed sheet spread under the area being trimmed. Using a blower or vac of some kind doesn't work to well when the clippings are falling into mulch. When I am done clipping I pick up the sheet with clippings inside and move on.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

From the original question, I gather that little or no bush trimming has been done in the past, and you are just beginning ("do you pick up the clippings" is a good clue).

I do some bush trimming for my mowing customers, but do not make a steady diet of this work. I like to do it, but it is hard work for me, and mowing pays me much better for my time.

Over the years, I have changed many things in my technique and strategy. Most of the time I use tarps for cover before trimming. The places I do not have hard surface underneath (e.g. no mulch), and the trimmings are more easily cleaned up (e.g. not yew trimmings). Therefore, no single rule applies. I have a couple of 8X10 tarps, and a couple of 7X7 tarps. Also, I have learned that in tight places, small pieces of thin plywood (e.g. 2x3 ft) work well between bushes. The hard surface can easily be raked, but the tight areas are hard to get a tarp laid flat.

An adjustable rake has proven to be invaluable for cleanup. Here is an example:

After raking and catching all the trimmings possible with the tarps, a final cleanup with light blowing with the hand blower can eliminate a few stray trimmings. My goal is to leave the area looking like the trimming was never done -- only the bushes look trimmed, but the area beneath remains as before starting the work.

For heavy volume jobs, such as overgrown privet, the best tools are a wide silage fork, pitchfork, or other heavy tool, before the rake.

I never rake to the turf and try to pick up with a mower, or mulch the trimmings down.

The cleanup takes time and is hard work. However, using ladders and scaffolding to get good access is also an energy sink. Over the years, I have learned many things about best strategy for good access to the work.