Hedge trimming in winter

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Mowin4Dollas, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Mowin4Dollas

Mowin4Dollas LawnSite Member

Is it ok to trim hedged when there is a possibility of freezing temps? I am hesitating to start a job because of fear of killing bushes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I wouldn't be worried about the cold. If the plant isn't cold hardy it will be damaged regardless. What are you wanting to trim? If it flowers in the spring you might be cutting off buds.

3. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same question. A customer called to ask if I could trim shrubs for her now. From what I know, the shrubs that can get cut back 1/3 height, the hardy shrubs that would benefit from a rejuvenation, would be okay to trim now The shrubs that require detail trimming that flower in the spring would not benefit the plants.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Now is a good time to renewal prune shrubs.

We make thousands between January and March by rejuvenating bushes.

Roses, hollies, crape myrtles, butterfly bushes, loropetalum and oh so much more.

We prune heavily between January and March.

I use this presentation when training new hires; lots of good pruning infohttp://mcmg.umd.edu/Files/2011%20spring%20mini/1%20Pruning%20and%20Shearing.pdf

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Winter Dormancy for pruning is probably about the best time over all... Obviously we don't do maples after late summer and some people think that pruning in the exreme mid-winter conditions may cause problems,,, and the may be correct...
    This time of year,,, even in Wisco,,, we could start the apple trees soon... :)

6. Mowin4Dollas

Mowin4Dollas LawnSite Member

Thanks guys! This Saturday will be a trimming hedges in snow most likely. Thank you for all of your help!
    Posted via Mobile Device