Hedge Trimming Prices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Logsdonlawncare, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Logsdonlawncare

Logsdonlawncare LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I know there are prolly plenty of threads about this topic, but im a little pressed for time at the moment. The job is for a hotel.

60 3x3x3 spireas, barberry, ect.
    5 4x4x6 burning bushes
    and a few weeds to be pulled in the beds as well.

Also this is my first large trimming job, any tricks from you veterans on how to make the job better looking and quicker would be great as well.

Thanks, Todd

2. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

How long will it take you? I'm assuming you have a gas powered hedgers. How much are you taking off each one?

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you are using power trimmers you can figure about 5 minutes per shrub including clean-up. The shrubs are small and shoudn't take more than a couple of minutes each to trim. The time consuming part is the clean-up. If you are using hand clippers ( I hope you're not) then it will take much longer...probably 2 to 3 times as long. I try to bill at $40 per hour for hedge and shrub trimming. I can make that much per hour mowing, so I charge that much for shrubs as well.

4. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

I normally charge by the shrub. This way I can include clean-up in the price. If the job goes well then I made out like a bandit. If it doesn't then I am still covered. Usually for a job like the one you listed I would probably charge in the neighborhood of $200 to $300, or about $5 per shrub.

If there are only a few shrubs then I will charge by the hour with a minimum.

5. Logsdonlawncare

Logsdonlawncare LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

thanks for the replys....yes i have a stihl trimmer, i did a job with hand trimmers once........once! lol. again thanks for the input!

Todd

6. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

$35.00 per man hour plus $18 per yd for debris hauled away.

3 men for 1 hr, 2 yd debris TOTAL $141

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Plan on longer for the barberrys.. They hurt. Gotta add in for the pain.

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

We charge $60 per hour. I usually can get real close on time, but even if we are off a little we still make a great profit. I pay my shrub man $20/hr.

We usually try to bill one hour minimum, but we will give a break if it is just a quick 10 minute job and we are already there. like today, sent my guy to a place that took 30 minutes, but we quoted them $60, told them that it was our minimum and they said, no problem.

all said and done, if I quote a 4 hour job and it takes 5. I'm not going to complain. The profit margin is great enough to absorb any miss-calculations.

9. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Good luck on the job. You will get better on estimating as time goes on.
    $ 60 an hr is my rate as well.