Hedge Trimming Question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jondcoleman, Jul 10, 2006.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants me basically to cut some of his hedges in half. I have attached the pictures. Will these return to looking ok if I cut the top half off? Thanks for any help.

2006.06.21 023.jpg

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i think thatll look like crap, around here, some business got cheap and instead of having their trees correctly pruned to keep the size down, they had a tree company come in and just chop the top third off the tree, that looked horrible. I understand that a tree and bush arn't the same thing but doing that to either i think will look horrible, but if thats what the customer wants and he is fully aware of the look he is about go get, then ide say give it to him. Maybe take the picture you showed us, print it out and cut off the part the customer wants cut off and show him what it would look like, also, make sure that in a contract you assume no liability if the bush dies after doing this

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a definite NO! If she wants it that much smaller it has to be replaced.

4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Looks like an Ilex, they are very hardy shrubs.

Yes you can cut it in half and it will eventually look OK.

It will look better in the short term if you selectively reduce the shurb instead of going at it with shears.

5. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Jameson, what do you mean by selectively reducing it?

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

go into the shrub and selectivly prune out some of the branches. so that over time (a couple years) you can pull the shrub back down in size and not really hurt the over all appearance

I am planning on doing some of our shrub on campus that have gotten out of control.

But if you "whack" it back to the woody stems it will come back. but it won't be pretty while its re-growing....

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/ho/ho59/ho59.htm

7. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I would do what MarcSmith said as it is a very easy thing to do and works. Especially on shrubs used as privacy walls. And when you hedge trim it, get it down as much as you can without showing the branches and still have plenty of green left. The owner will be much happier than a big hole in the top is you cut it in half.

8. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

If you look closely at the picture you can see a light fixture behind the bush. This is probably the reason he wants it cut in half. Better illumination, either for security or garage access at night. He's not going to be interested in the 4 year plan. Either shear the heck out of it or more likely replace with a smaller shrub. By the way, that's American or Nellie Stevens Holly. It will take YEARS for the top to fill in.

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, I'll paint a shrub red, white, and blue if that's what they want. He didn't say take good care of it, he said cut it in half. Chain saw, then hedge trimmers. Rake and blow. Bamm!

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would do what the customer requests but give him a heads up about what to expect as an outcoe as the branches cant be put back on once you cut them off! JMO