Hedge trimming the easy way?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Armsden&Son, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Ok folks, here is the discussion... I've seen this being done a couple times by bigger outfits and small ones as well. Instead of gas trimmers, a small generator on wheels and electric trimmer is used.. I have never really considered it but when doing hours(days) of hedge trimming, I bet this would make it easier. I know that you have the cord to deal with but doesnt the fact that the trimmers are 50% lighter make up for it? Now, we all think of using electric trimmers as kind of scrubbish right? Not if you have your own generator and some really nice professional electric trimmers.... What do you guys think?

2. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

No matter what I would think gas trimmers would always be more powerful

3. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

Generator would use more fuel than a gas trimmer.

Gas trimmer twice as fast as electric.

PIA to haul a generator and cords around everyday.

If you want to use electric because they are lighter plug them into customers outlet. Then all you have to haul is the cords.

4. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

50% lighter means not heavy duty or for daily use. I've had plenty of elderly clients ask if I wanted to use their electric hedgers. I laugh and say nooooo way.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i use battery powered hedge trimmers. light as a feather and doesn't wear you down. there are good ones out there made by stihl and others these days. i use craftsman since i already had 4 of the batteries they use to power them. i already had the drill, impact wrench, and so forth. 19.2v batteries. use lithium ion batteries instead of nicad and they are at full power the whole time until they go dead. each battery lasts about 30-45min of trimming. i don't do a ton of trimming so it works fine for me. i once did a 3hr 50 shrub trimming job with it though. only went through 3 batteries doing that big job.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

My luck Id cut the cord and burn the generator and clippers up.

7. larryinalabama

Battery might be ok. Id try one but Im totally out of equiptment money

8. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Believe me, I love the non hassle of gas... and somebody made a great point about the generator using more fuel. Having a cord really stinks as well... Here's my thing... when I am trimming hedges, I usually grab the 40 in. single sided because they feel lighter and less cumbersome to me. I can just picture whipping through hedges with light as a feather electrics.. Battery is very interesting but I obviosly worry about them holding up because of the amount of trimming that I do.... This is really interesting though... thanks for all the replies guys..

9. larryinalabama

Ive been running 30" single sided Kawasaki and stihl kimbi atachment trimmers for years. No way Id ever deal with a cord, Id consider a battery powered unit for "touchups" but have some manual sissor type trimmer for that.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

if you do alot of trimming you would prolly need to look at the stihl version of battery powered trimmers. 40v lithium ion. that is probably the best out there as far as battery powered stuff right now. greenworks has a 40v battery system as well. they sale them at lowes. i would think the stihl might be the best to use for commercial use though.

like i said i dont' do much hedge trimming. i've only done 1 job this year. it was about 10 shrubs. i don't have a need to buy anything more since i don't do much of that type of work.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013