Hedge trimming with the weedeater!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tom-N-Texas, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

Any one else do this....Or am I just a nut?

If a shrub just has a little new, light-green growth on it, a weedeater will trim it 5 times faster and better than any hedge trimmer will. A Weedeater is perfect to use on Boxwoods, burford hollies, dwarf youpons, etc. Obviously though, if there's lots of growth on the bushes, a hedge trimmer would do the job better.

It's best not to let the homeowner see you doing this though! You're likely to get some raised eyebrows.

I've been doing this for years. I charge many of my customers $5-10 bucks (or more) per week more to keep their shrubs in top form. By using the weedeater for 2-3 minutes per week to trim off the new growth I can do this very easily.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh hell yeah I do that crap all the time when it's just small stuff, azaleas are good for it, too. Just gotta watch it with the larger sticks when they get caught in the line and come around and whip you in the legs or arms, which hurts and leaves welts and cuts all over.
  3. mikekl

mikekl LawnSite Member

I do this sometimes as well,as long as its not a big hedge ,The most recent one I trimmed was about 4 feet tall,and I had to hold the weed eater kinda high to trim it straight,It threw all the cuttings all over me!

MORETORQUE LawnSite Member

I have a weedeater specially made up just for this.The art of weedeating is the most essential tool for the lawn man to be efficient over the competition.

I set it up with 80 line for a better cut on fine shrubs,then I walk the property once and use it to weedeat,trim and edge all at once. I can get away with this on commercial and it is so much faster! But there are not to many people with the skill to do it.
  5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

the only thing i "trim" that way, is when it comes to a row of pachysandra (spelling?), or ivy beds.
  6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i shape up some hedges at cemetaries with a trimmer
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I would think that a weedeater would leave a rather ragged cut compared to a nice, clean cut from a hedgetrimmer.
  8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I'l Be Hedge Trimming w/this Bad Boy if it Makes it to Market neXt Spring .

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

hedging with a weed wacker is definately not good for shrubs. your just tearing them off instead of clean cuts.....i would highly not recommend doing that.

MORETORQUE LawnSite Member

It's one of those things where you just touch them up every week. You are not really trimming them you just lightly shape them. If you try and trim them deeply it rips'em up bad depending on type of plant. Done correctly it works good.