Hedge Trimming

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Lynden-Jeff, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I don't do very much hedge trimming but I said I would do it for a client. Its still a little chilly here, im wondering if it will damage the hedge if I do it to early in the seasons. Will it be alright or should I hold off? Day time temps running around 5-10C.

Cheers
    Jeff

2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Actually mid/late Winter is an excellent time for pruning - especially deciduous plant materials.

Go for it.

3. Gimp

Gimp LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Anyone want to share how they quote hedge trimming? I have had a couple large jobs. Do you just quote it off the time it will take you to do the job? It is very hard to estimate it this early in my career...

4. Gimp

Gimp LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Wow - I have been reading this site for a while (you guys rock!) and did not realize I have never posted lmao :)

5. illday

illday LawnSite Member

Gimp, I usually bid a shrub job trying to make atleast $35/hr. I always bid high and usually get the job (alot of lco's hate shrubtrimming). Non-cutting customers I try to get $50 an hour.
    Don't forget to add an hour for cleanup.

6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Just go off your estimated time + disposal.
    You may not get it right every time, but you'll learn to estimate better every time.
    At least it's not like underestimating a year long contract. A botched hedge quote won't keep hurting all year long.

Surely you have cut hedges before. Just think back to how long it took and extrapolate to the job in front of you.

7. Gimp

Gimp LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Thank you for the help. I have pretty much been quoting stuff off estimated time at $35 an hour for current customers. I may have overestimated on this last one, but that will be ok if I get the job :)

8. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

$35/hr is to cheap, trimming is hard work let alone the clean up that is involved. Not many guys can trim properly those who can will charge better than that.

9. illday

illday LawnSite Member

Davey, you have a point but I was the shrubman for a large lco making $15hr for 10 years. I am more than happy doing this for myself getting $35-$50 per hour.